RVT Group are pleased to announce that we are now a primary distribution partner for Pinssar’s DPM monitoring solution in the UK. This solution will be available to customers via contract-sale or hire agreement.
The Pinssar DPR units measure particles smaller than 0.8 micron or 800 nanometres (nm) in real time, making them ideal for measuring DPM levels in tunnels, in line with the updated BS 6164 guidance.
What is a DPM Monitor?
DPM stands for Diesel Particulate Matter; a DPM monitor therefore monitors the concentration of diesel particulate matter in the air.
What are DEEEs and what impact do they have on my health?
Diesel Engine Exhaust Emissions are a carcinogenic combination of gases, vapours, liquid aerosols and particulate substances, that are often invisible to the naked eye. These small respirable particles are often less than 0.8 microns and can penetrate deep into the lungs, causing both short and long-term health issues. Whilst acute exposure might cause eye and respiratory irritation, longer-term exposure could lead to heart, bladder and/ or lung cancer. When working with diesel machinery in enclosed spaces, we must not only implement ventilation systems, but also monitor the diesel particulate matter in the air, to ensure that we maintain a safe working environment.
What is the best practice guidance for DPM monitoring?
British Standard 6164 'Health and safety in tunnelling in the construction industry - Code of practice' was revised in late 2019, significantly impacting the tunnelling and construction industries. One of the key changes to BS 6164 was the guidance around diesel engine exhaust emission exposure. The new guidance explains that,
“Primary control should be achieved by reducing emissions at source along with adequate ventilation. Until further guidance is issued by HSE, a limit value of 100 ug/m3 as a 15-minute time-weighted average, and measured as elemental carbon, should not be exceeded.”
The guidance goes on to say,
“Real-time monitoring of DPM using light scattering technology should be considered, however appropriate correction factors should be applied to ensure differentiation between DPM and mineral dust along with aerosols in the tunnel environment.”
Previously, it was accepted that technology may only be able to support random spot checks of DPM levels, however the new guidance has taken advances in technology into consideration and it is now a requirement that “continuous real time monitoring should be undertaken”.
Introducing the Pinssar DPR
In response to this change in guidance, RVT Group are working with Pinssar to offer their proven and practical solution to the UK market. Here are some of the key features and benefits of this new technology;
- The Pinssar DPR records highly reliable data, measuring particles smaller than 0.8 micron, or 800 nanometres (nm). This is possible because it uses a cyclone inlet which provides a sharp cut point at 800nm equivalent aerodynamic diameter (EAD), even in atmospheres contaminated with high levels of respirable particles (>3mg/m3).
- Other DPM units have been found to require considerable maintenance efforts to maintain operability in harsh environments, however the Pinssar DPR is ultra-low maintenance.
- The Pinssar DPR continuously collects samples and sends the data back to the cloud based Pinssar Dashboard in real time.
- The Pinssar Dashboard is an easy to use and configurable interface which records and displays samples from the Pinssar DPR, as well as internal diagnostics.
- Real time monitoring provides a consistent insight into DPM levels, enabling you to manage your ventilation systems and diesel machinery in a safe and effective way.
- The Pinssar DPM monitoring solution is ideal for underground mining, construction projects, basement projects, tunnelling projects, workshops, shipping and anywhere where diesel engine exhaust may be present in confined or enclosed spaces.
Given the high specification and functionality, we believe that Pinssar’s DPM monitoring solution sets the gold standard for anyone who is working with diesel machinery in an enclosed space and who requires continuous, real time monitoring of diesel emissions.
Pinssar are specialists in DPM monitoring and are trusted by companies all around the world. Pinssar are an Australian based company and RVT Group have been specially selected as a primary distribution partner in the UK.
Availability: Please note, these units are imported to order and therefore have a longer lead time. Please ensure that you engage with us early to ensure that kit can be delivered to site in line with your project requirements. Please contact us on 0808 178 3286 for all hire and sale enquiries.
To download the Pinssar DPR Technical Specifications Sheet, please click here.
To download a copy of our Diesel Fumes whitepaper, please click here.
To view our range of ventilation equipment for tunnels, basements and other enclosed spaces, please click here.
To submit an online enquiry, please click here.