The HSE continue to push the awareness of Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) testing
You may be expected to produce evidence of a Thorough Examination and Test (TExT) if a HSE inspector visits your site.
11th January 2021
The HSE is continuing to push awareness of LEV testing and have featured the guidance notes in their latest bulletin. HSE guidelines explain that Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) solutions must be tested and inspected regularly to ensure that the equipment is “working as effectively as originally intended and is helping to protect your employees’ health”.
What is the purpose of thorough examination and testing?
A thorough examination and test is a detailed and systematic examination sufficient to ensure that the LEV can continue to perform as intended by design and will contribute to adequate control of exposure.
Do you know your legal responsibilities as a duty holder to your employees?
- Health and Safety Law states that you, as a duty holder, must assess risks to your workers from hazardous substances (dusts, fumes, vapours) and decide what measures to use to protect their health.
- You must maintain all selected Local Exhaust Ventilation equipment in efficient working order so that it continues to provide protection every day.
- You should be able to provide the examiner with full details of the intended future performance of the equipment.
- You are responsible for arranging the TExT to be carried out. Remember, it should be carried out by someone who has the correct knowledge, skills and practical experience to ensure an effective and reliable job. Contact the manufacturer or supplier for more information if you are unsure. The HSE website contains further information on the duties of hirers and suppliers.
- Equipment should not be used if the expiry date has passed.
- You should arrange for periodic TExT examinations at least every 14 months.
- You must keep records for a period of at least 5 years.
- In addition, you should have detailed information on the installed LEV system to confirm it provides adequate protection, and this should be kept for the life of the equipment.
RVT Group’s TExT System
RVT issue a TExT certificate for our LEV products before every hire; this confirms the date that the product was last tested and passed. We hope that this level of testing and certification will enable customers to rest assured that when they hire equipment from RVT Group, the product will perform safely and effectively on your site.
The RVT Group's TExT process consists of:
In the unlikely event that our equipment stops functioning as it should on site, we advise you to stop using the equipment and contact our engineers to re-examine and test the equipment.
More information about RVT’s TExT procedures can be found here.
Click to view all dust control equipment and fans.
For more information, please call 0808 178 3286 or email us at email@example.com.
Receive industry focused resources to enhance your on-site safety